Tuesday 11 May 2010

Would you Adam & Eve it-I've taken the Apple

For the international readers, 'Adam and Eve it' is what's known as Cockney rhyming slang for 'Believe it', i.e. 'Would you believe it-I've taken the Apple'. Phew glad that's out of the way. Here in the UK we have some funny customs that seem normal till you try to explain them.

Anyway what the hell am I on about? Well I'm not on about smoking because I don't do that now. What I am on about is mobile phones. Yep some folk are quite happy with phones that can make phone calls and possibly send and receive texts. Add on a camera and it's enough to make some folk faint.

Me!!! Well I always wanted more. I bought a PC when they were expensive and no-one could understand what you would do with it. I had a calculator in Primary school. That was long enough ago that most of the other kids parents didn't have one and hadn't seen one. Lucky this isn't a dating site because I don't think I'm really selling myself here. The point is I always wanted gadgets. I didn't necessarily know what they did or why but I wanted them. When I was watching space 1999 I wasn't enthralled by the whole 'other worldliness of it all'. I wanted to know what the machine with all the lights and dials did. I would have bought a toaster if it had a graphic equaliser or decent digital display. So when it came to phones I always had the cutting edge one.

I fell for the ultra mobiles hook line and sinker. I even stuck with it and learned how to text using a stylus and a version of my own hand writing. Even the true geeks gave up on that but I didn't. BUT, I never got the whole Apple vibe. My samsung MP3 player had a 20gb hard drive before your computer had a 20gb hard drive. What's more I could download what I wanted and not be stuck with Itunes. My computer could sync with anything and if I wanted software (not from shops if you know what I mean) I only had to persevere and I'd get it. I once boasted that 'the only legal piece of software on my pc was the software I used to download illegal software'.

But now I've given in. My HTC was a damned fine phone in millions of ways and I actually wanted it to be better than an I phone. I wanted windows mobile to out do apple. The phone was capable of it. I even think windows might have won but then android and symbian make the non Ipod market to diluted so developers can't concentrate on one thing. So now I have an apple Iphone.

If you get one, be prepared. This doesn't work straight out of the box. You NEED to have Itunes on your PC and an Istore account (with your bank details loaded) or you can't even switch it on (you could but there'd be no point). Remind yourself how to 'Pair' your wifi with your broadband because you'll want to do that. Figure out how to copy all your contacts because you need a new Sim card. Make sure you have a free usb port on your pc because they don't like extension cables or external USB ports. I took a morning off to wait for the delivery. Then I ended up getting it from the depot the night before. It took all that night and my morning off to get the damn thing up to speed.

That said...It's pretty bloody good once you get it figured out. Oh and there are some naughty people who've cracked a way of installing stuff without going through Itunes. I could grow to like this.

I wonder if there's an app that could stop you smoking?

Speak later

T

1 comment:

  1. What phone am I?

    I have actually gone in the opposite direction. I buried my iphone (itunes makes me cry) for a HTC Hero. Ill be be honest my HTC wins over my iphone. But its all down to personal taste at the end of the day.

    Oh and yes you can jailbreak the iphone and make it do some pretty cool things but be warned if you ever accidently update the your phone through itunes, which I did once or twice, be prepared for a world of pain. Thats about 3 ashtrays full to get that one sorted :(

    But at the end of the day its just down to personal choice. HTC Heros wins me over because it has all the nice features I want. Good camera, wifi, mp3 player, upgradeable memory slots, lots of apps to do anything and everything, fantastic touch screen and all this without the dreaded ITUNES. Saying that I did spend two years with the iphone blisffully happy until our relationship broke down :)


    I have an app to quit smoking. Its crap, its shows you a picture of a black lung and thats it. Like I havent seen that before!!

    Goodluck with your new toy!

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates