Sunday 17 October 2010

Money for Christmas

Seasons Greetings

First things first: We need to have that Christmas conversation. You know the one. You have it every year and you know you do. It replaces the weather conversation. Got it figured yet? I am of course talking about the conversation we all have every year at this time of year when we haven't even had Halloween (trick or treat or whatever you call it) but the shops are full of Christmas and the TV starts getting in to the perfume ads. It's been gathering pace since the last weeks of September and it will only get worse. Between now and the first week in December our favorite topic of conversation will be... 'I can't believe that Christmas is starting so early this year'. 'Can't they just let us get October out?' Then in December we can start our next favourite topic which goes 'doesn't really feel like Christmas this year does it?'.

Back to Black

I seriously need to find some way to make some money. The wife and I both have hard working decent paying jobs and I swear we've not had two pennies to rub together all year. Every time I look at the money something else comes up to steal it from me. It's the car tax, it's insurance, the caravan, the dishwasher (that ain't even fixed yet), it's endless that's what it is. I've been reading Poets blog about her attempts to work from home and, whilst she's finding it a bit up and down, I'm wondering if I could get a second income from it. I'm even considering getting a couple of back shifts in a shop or something just to have that feeling of having spending money again instead of just paying bills. People say 'at least you still have your health' but actually it's mentally and physically draining constantly trying to figure out what can and can't be paid or trying to learn to do things yourself because you can't get a tradesman to do it. Actually sometimes that bit can be quite rewarding when it works but, it' got to work.

Yep I've got to figure out a way to make some money. Realistically I wouldn't be able to maintain a second job for any length of time unless it was something I could do at home. What I need to do is find a way to market my existing skills and use what I have. I can knock out professional presentations in minutes, on more than one occasion my user guides have been chosen in preference to the official version from the software vendor. I can put together courses on telephone skills, sales, debt collection, complaints, train the trainer, all that kind of stuff and more. God almighty a bunch of Canadians even managed to teach me to train reliability engineering to engineers. There are some problems however:

First everybody thinks that they can do great presentations. (Trust me they can't. It's like the start of xfactor when you get the ones whose friends think they are a great singer.)

Second companies need to deal with a registered business. They can't just pay cash to some guy touting for business.

Third I'm at work during the day and these things need scoped out. There need to be meetings etc.

Forth I don't even have any idea how you go about tendering for that sort of thing or even how much to charge.

So that's what my brain is working at just now. How can I turn my skills in to cash. Please put any suggestions you may have on the back of a cheque made payable to.... Only joking but any ideas gratefully received.

Meta Tags

Last week I talked about a new geeky bloggy thing that I had learned called HTML code and I mentioned using meta tags to ensure that google et al would find my site and list it highly on any searches. Well I've been monitoring the site as always with google analytics and I'm pleased to say that meta tags have made absolutely no difference what so ever to the uptake of my site. Visitor numbers have neither increased nor decreased. The most popular way to find my little corner of the web seems to be to google quitzits or any sentence that includes smoking and spots.

QuitZits

Since they bring people to the site I think it's only polite to update you all on them. When I first read about them there seemed to be some agreement that they were a short term (about three months) side effect of giving up. Utter Bull I'm afraid. I gave up in February and I still get them (as bad as ever) now.

How can you tell that they are quitzits? They may look like any other zit but they are actually a bread apart. They can come on from nowhere pretty quick and you'll feel them like a solid lump under the surface of your skin. The problem is that they sit deeper than a normal pluke so can get quite red and angry but be way too thick skinned to burst. Try not to burst them anyway. Not sure about this one but stick with me. If you do squeeze them they don't empty and go away like a normal spot. They stay there looking just as angry but with the added joy of a scab on top. Burst or not they go down by themselves. The problem is that within seven to fourteen days they come back. They come back in exactly the same spot but the second visit is usually the last. They do have a habit of leaving a red area of skin for a while afterwards but at least they are gone.

So there you have the quitzit. Painful, unsightly and abnormal. But bearable and nowhere near as bad as smoking. Since I smoked for thirty years it's hardly surprising that my skin has some withdrawal symptoms. Smoking drys and eventually ages the skin so maybe I shouldn't be complaining about looking like an adolescent.

Until next week...

T

6 comments:

  1. "Please put any suggestions you may have on the back of a cheque made payable to.... Only joking but any ideas gratefully received."

    I laughed out loud when I read this. ;) Tq, you are one funny man. I love reading your blog. I must admit that when you are writing about the technical stuff, my eyes kinda glaze over because I don't have a clue what you are talking about. ;) However, I do read it all because there is ALWAYS something that makes me smile.

    It sounds to me as though you have some very marketable skills. There HAS to be a way for you to make money with it. My best advice would be to research. There is SO much information on the internet.

    Have a great day and keep smilin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya. so yeah, the work from home as a telephone intervewier is ok, but it is part time, i wonder why i thought i could make a living from home? frustrating for sure. i took off all those banner ads and crap that one can use to 'monetize' your blog. no one clicks that stuff, and it just looks cluttery (is that a word?).
    as much as i hate the thought, i might have to look for a job on the outside. scares me to death. we'll see.
    i hope that you find some extra income, surely all that techy-geeky stuff has a place ??
    have a great day anyway. and take care of those QZs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I love it when I get comments after a blog. Poet, it's time to stop complaining about the weather and get yourself back out there.

    Oh and by the way my monetised blog has made nearly £2 sterling since April. Cool or what? At this rate I could have earned the bus fare to next years christmas party by about june 2011. Well worth having ads.

    Speak next week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to comment on your comment. ;) Poet is nervous about working outside our home because she is VERY VERY scent sensitive. She gets really sick if she is exposed to perfume, body sprays, that sort of thing. It isn't actually the scent it's the chemicals in the stuff people wear. Since there are a lot of people out there who don't care or don't understand, she has to be very careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that K. Hope you don't think I was being insensitive. I simply had no idea. Thanks.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all TQ. You had no way of knowing. It's all good. ;)

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates