Saturday 7 August 2010

Like, Comment, Add to wishlist, Ignore

Comment

Ok so I've spent a fair bit of this week trying to decide what I really think about this facebook lark. The whole thing is puzling me a bit because it's not really a blog as such. You don't really keep a diary or tell a story. Also it seems to work differently based on your age.

For folk my age and above it all seems a bit random. It's like some sort of bizzare tourettes. Someone posts a comment like: 'My dishwashers broke and I've got no dishes' and then all the friends of that person swarm on to the site to either 'Like' this bizarre proposal (which I am taking as a form of support)or comment with something tongue in cheek like 'I thought you only ate fast food anyway'. What do you need dishes for? (Oops forgot to put the LOL at the end). Imagine sending a text message to everyone you know just to update them that you are now shopping and you've got the idea.

I am however now 'Friends' with my teenage nieces and they seem to use it all differently. Not quite so under pressure to make sweeping statements they seem to be going more for the full on conversation. We've been friends for two days and I've learned more about them in those two days than in the past 16 years. They also seem to spend a fair bit of time sending out quizzes to all their pals. What did you think the first time you saw me? Who would you secretly like to snog? If I died tomorow what would you say? I have to say it seems innocent enough and even quite a good way to get into others thoughts but is this not wide open for the bullys to attack individuals?

Like

Then there seem to be some sites set up with no other intention in life than to be liked. What's that about? One said that if it could get 2000 people to 'like' it by a certain date then their dad would give up smoking. I didn't 'like' it by the way. leave the guy alone. Pressuring him in that way is poitless. Find a site like this and let him read it. that would work better.

Add to wishlist

In her most recent blog Poet talked about house prices where she lives. Well house prices are pretty high everywhere but there are always bargains if you search. A two bed flat in the city where I live will start at over 90k however look at this one that I discovered:



On the market for 162k. 162k!!!!! That's something that a normal couple could afford. Granted the estate agent describes it as needing modernisation inside and out but 162k. Take a look at what you get by clicking here. You would feel like the lord and lady of the manor. If three or four rooms were OK you would live in them and then get the place watertight. That may take the price through the 200k barrier but, theres more than an acre of land, you could sell some land to a developer to pay for some of the repairs. Provided it's wind and water tight then you can take years to do the rest a room at a time. It makes me feel good that a pleb like me could realistically one day own a place like that.

Ignore

Yep it turns out the car dealer had been ignoring me. They had the cheek to do one of those courtessy calls to say they thought it was about time for a service but had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned my complaint. I went via 'Contact us' on their web-site and asked when I should expect an answer. I got an email straight away to say there was no record and that I would be contacted shortly. Within about half an hour the directors PA had contacted me to say that she had been on holiday and then the director had been on holiday. My complaint had gone missing but was found now.

So what now???

Watch this space...

T

1 comment:

  1. hey TQ. just wanted to know i am alive and well. i even updated my dusty blog a little while ago. i hope that all is well. and it would be quite nice to connect on FB. ;) take care, my bloggy buddy~

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates